Am I obligated to fill out the I-130? 4 Answers as of November 09, 2010

My sister wants to live in the United States and I have told her that it would be a bad move. She does not speak any English and she already makes good money abroad. She wants me to fill out the I-130 but I do not want to participate in her immigration process.

The answer, in a word, is no. You are under no obligation to petition for your sister. Once you have filed the I-130 Petition for Alien Relative, and it is approved, your sister gets a priority date (likely to be years in the future), and once it is certified as eligible for adjustment of status (or consular processing), then you have to be responsible for financial support for up to 10 years. If you want to discuss the issue further, by all means e-mail or call to set up an in-person or telephone conference call. Best to you.
No, of course, you are not obligated to complete any petition if you do not want to do so. However, please keep in mind that even if you do, it will be about 12 years before your sister would be eligible to immigrate to the US on the basis of this petition.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You are not obligated to fill out the I-130. However, I do not see the harm in allowing your sister the opportunity to see for herself what this country is about. The I-130 is a document which does require careful inspection before filing because USCIS will reject these cases for even the slightest error.

If this is the only document which your sister needs, my law firm can draft and review this form for a small fee. Please do not hesitate to contact my office if you have any questions.