Am I now the legal owner and should I change the title to my name only? 17 Answers as of January 09, 2014

I bought my father in law a car and paid cash. I had the title put in both of our names. He recently passed.

Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
The car would pass to you as survivor by reason of your name on the title.
You are the owner.
James Oberholtzer, Attorney at Law
James Oberholtzer, Attorney at Law | James Oberholtzer
Yes, if you have joint tenancy. Yes, you should change it to just your name.
Take care of this problem with the DMV.
Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
Maybe, if you took title with right of survivorship. Go to DMV.
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    You are likely the owner depending on exactly what the title says. Go to the DMV and they will help you complete the appropriate froms. Be sure to take the death certificate.
    Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
    The answer is probably yes, in terms of ownership. Whether to change the title or not is up to you. You will only have an issue, if/when you decide to sell the car. At that point, you would need to produce a certified death certificate. You may want to review the title with someone from Secretary of State to make sure re: ownership. There are ways of holding title where it would not automatically pass to the survivor.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    If title is an "or" then yes you may remove his name through the DMV in Nevada. If it is an "and" you may need to use an Affidavit or go through a probate process, like a set aside. Review the tile and the DMV requirements. Best of luck to you.
    Richard J. Keyes Attorney at Law | Richard J. Keyes
    You need to look the title and find out if you owed the automobile as joint tenants or tenants in common. If tenants in common, then the automobile needs to go through probate. If joint tenants, take the title and a death certificate to a Department of Revenue license bureau to get his name off. You can then always do a T.O.D on the title which is "transfer on death" so that if you pass away, the person you name can have the title changed without the automobile going through probate.
    David Kass | David Kass
    If title was originally as joint tenants it passes automatically by op of law. That said you should re-title it for ins. purposes. You also may need to file a fed gift tax return for amount of the gift (form 709).
    Law Offices of R. Christine Brown | R. Christine Brown
    Go to the DMV with the pink slip and his death certificate. They have forms that you need to fill out to change title.
    Edward L. Armstrong, P.C. | Edward L. Armstrong
    Yes, you should put the car in your name. To do this you need to take a certified copy of his death certificate to the Missouri Department of Revenue (I am presuming this is where you registered the vehicle - if it's another state, the same basic provision would probably apply but you would have to check on this). There is probably a small fee the DOR will charge for the new title.
    Take a copy of the death certificate to the DMV and get a new title issued.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    If title to the car was held in joint tenancy then as the survivor you would be the sole owner. You should request a new title showing the passing of the other joint tenant to clarify ownership.
    Attorney & Counselor at Law | Jeffrey B. Hammerlund
    You file a small estate affidavit along with a copy of the death certificate and change the title to your name only.
    Yes, you should have the vehicle re-titled in your name only.
    Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
    Because your name is presently on the title, you should be able to send the Department of Motor Vehicles in Tallahassee, a certified copy of your dad's death certificate, and they should remove his name off the title.