Am I liable to an accident if car is registered to me but insured in daughter’s name? 3 Answers as of May 19, 2014

She got head on with tractor trailer. My car was totaled. My daughter is in the Intensive Care Unit. Truck sub stained some damage but the driver was not hurt.

Sondak Law Group | Alisa Sondak
Both you and your daughter will be liable, you as the car owner and the daughter as the driver. But since she is insured and was not driving under the influence of drugs and or alcohol, the insurance will pay for all damages here. Your daughter might end up with a ticket if it turns out that she broke any traffic laws. The worse case scenario is that she gets a careless driving ticket, but she can hire an attorney to help her with that. I presume that she is on your car insurance as the secondary driver?
Rothstein Law PLLC
Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
Under New York law, the owner of a car is liable for the negligence of anyone driving the car with the owner's permission. I suggest that you put your insurance carrier on notice of a possible claim or the carrier can disclaim coverage later. I suggest you consult with a personal injury lawyer ASAP to see if your daughter has a claim against the other driver.
Paul A. Lauto, PLLC
Paul A. Lauto, PLLC | Paul A. Lauto
In NY, the owner of a vehicle is vicariously liable for the acts of the operator with consent. Your daughter and you should seek consultation asap to determine negligence/liability and to proceed with any viable claims.