Am I liable if I pay my mistress' rent? 5 Answers as of January 13, 2013

I live at home with my wife. I think I want to break up with my mistress.

The Law Office of Erin Farley
The Law Office of Erin Farley | Erin Farley
Only if your name is on the lease.
LAW OFFICE OF JON RATHJEN | JON LAURENCE RATHJEN
But for the cavalier way people treat the internet I would guess this question to be "tongue In cheek"; assuming it is a legitimate question, and by liable you mean for the rental property, the short answer would be "not unless you signed the lease/rental agreement or some guarantee thereof"; the longer answer would be as to liability to the mistress for some sort of implied contract (Marvin case) to support her. Liability to wife is a whole other can of worms and would largely depend on whether community funds were spent on the mistress.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
If you are on the lease you are liable. Otherwise there would have to be a contract, oral or written.
LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
If you divorce your wife she can make you repay the community for your mistress rent.
If you and your wife get a divorce, to the extent that your wife can prove that you spent community funds (i.e., your or your wife's income) on your mistress, your wife can recover her community share (1/2) of those funds from you.