Am I liable for robbery of someone elses money? 4 Answers as of August 01, 2011

My cousin left a large sum of money and jewelry in my house while she was on vacation. (They don't keep money in banks because they evade taxes). My house was broken into and robbed and that money was stolen. The police were not called. (My cousin's request) Can my cousin hold me legally responsible for that money?

This response is general information only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. However I would need further information such as did your cousin tell you about the money and if so did he tell you to keep it safe for him, if so you may have a duty to at least not be negligent ( like leaving the house unlocked and unattended ) . otherwise you are probably not responsible for it.
No. She cannot.
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers | Alexander Sanchez
First of all, robbery is the forcible taking of property from another person. The alleged breaking into the home is burglary, not robbery. Whether or not you are civilly liable depends on a number of factors: Did you agree to hold the items, and maintain it securely? If so, what secure methds did you use? If evidence shows the house was broken into by unknown parties, and a crime was committed, it is not likely that you will be held responsible in any civil action. However, why didn't you report the burglary to the police? It's your home that was invaded-not his. He cannot on the one hand tell you not to go to the police, and on the other claim that you are liable for the property stolen during the burglary.
Your cousin left you with the property. That created a bailment. You could be sued in small claims court for not taking proper case of the property left in your care. You would probably prevail on that case. Your cousin probably suspects that you took the property unless there is evidence of a burglary like a broken window or door lock.