Am I legally obligated to tell my separated husband the details about my pregnancy? 3 Answers as of July 06, 2011

I am currently 4 months pregnant and have been separated from my husband for 2 months. We are in different states and he wants to get a divorce after the child is born. It is a very difficult time for me and I rather not Speak to him anymore. Am I obligated to inform him about how my pregnancy is going when he hasn't been supporting me or been involved in much of pregnancy? And can he take me to court if I chose to not inform him about the child? Also does he have the right to be there in the delivery room?

If he is the father of your unborn child, he does have certain parental rights, but not the right to be in the delivery room. Either party could, in a divorce case, seek custodial or visitation rights, and you could seek Spousal Support, Child Support, and Attorney's Fees. You don't have to inform your husband about how the pregnancy is going if you don't want to. However, after the baby is born, if you don't allow him access to your child, he could claim that you denied him frequent and continuing contact, and you could be viewed disfavorably by the Court in custody litigation for doing that.
No, I do not believe you have to tell him anything. There is nothing to take you to Court for. He has a right to know your address and phone contact information. He has a right to have his name on the Birth Certificate. He has a right to have contact with his child. I could not possibly see any other situation than primary physical custody to you, though. In fact, because you are already in separate states, you should move for sole legal and sole physical custody.You did not say where either of you are living, but of course, California law applies to questions referred to me from this website. I definitely do not believe he has any right to be in the delivery room. You could ensure his absence with a Temporary Restraining Order, should that become necessary.
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
No, you are not obligated to tell him any details about your pregnancy. You are not required to have him in the delivery room with you either. After the child has been born you may notify him of the child's birth and discuss an appropriate custody and visitation plan. Prior to that time you are not required to provide any information. You may wish to have a third party communicate with him if you do wish to keep him informed if he requests information.