Am I legally obligated to mail a check during a homeowner insurance claim? Posted on July 10, 2011

We had a house fire. I reported to mortgage company as instructed by insurance adjuster. Mortgage company, GMAC, wants us to endorse our insurance check to them, and they will pay general contractor. Am I legally obligated to do this? I'm not comfortable mailing check out of state. We owe $50,000 on home. tax value $200,000. Fire damage probably $50,000-$75,000.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: