Am I legally obligated to appear to a court subpoena? 6 Answers as of July 26, 2011

I received a Subpoena To Testify as a witness in the mail. The bottom of the letter has a tear off reply card that says "Acceptance of Service and Waiver of Personal Service". Am I legally required to appear?

The Law Firm of Steven K. Franger
The Law Firm of Steven K. Franger | Steven Franger
No, you do not have to appear unless you are personally served. If you tear off the reply card and mail it back you are waiving personal service.
Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
You are not required to waive personal service. If you fail to appear for court and it's proved you actually received notice of the subpoena but did not appear, it could cause trouble. If you have some reason for not wanting to appear, it would be better to look into seeing if it's legally possible to get the subpoena "quashed." You can call an attorney to obtain help doing that.
Connell-Savela
Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
That is not personal service and so, no you do not have to appear.
Anderson & Carnahan
Anderson & Carnahan | Stephen Anderson
Only if you tear off the card and agree to acceptance.
Miller & Harrison, LLC
Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
You do not have to appear if you did not accept service by sending in the bottom tear off part. If you do not send that in, it is possible the prosecutor will send someone to personally serve you (i.e. hand you the subpoena) in which case you will have to appear.