Am I in trouble is I wasn't able to deposit the settlement check on time? 6 Answers as of October 16, 2013

I just found a settlement check from an accident I was involved in. The issue is, it is two months shy of 6 months, which I have discovered might make it stale. I would very much like to deposit this check. In the event that I cannot deposit it, is the company obligated to reissue the check or am I in trouble?

If your bank will take it deposit it. The insurance company would have to issue a new check if this one is stale. It may take them some time to do it.
You would not be in trouble, but would have to have them re issue you a new check.
Victor Varga | Victor Varga
It should still be fine, but if not, yes, the issuer will re-issue one once you return the uncashed one.
William Bidwell, Attorney at Law | Bill Bidwell
Deposit it immediately. The issuer will certainly issue a new check to replace a stale check; they may want you to return it.
Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
How are you in trouble? Is it your money? If so, deposit the check. If the check is stale go back to the issuer and ask them to reissue you a new one.
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    Deposit it. It may or may not clear. If it does not, the issuer may or may not be obligated to reissue it. You may take the risk of intervening bankruptcy, etc. Not depositing a check is generally a very bad idea.