Am I in legal trouble to lying to the passport office? 36 Answers as of June 11, 2013

My friend forged my signature for a passport application. They called to confirm that I signed it and I said yes. But they called back stating they didn't believe me because the signatures and story of where it was signed didn't line up. What do I do? Am I in legal trouble to lying to the passport office?

If they decide to press charges you should hire an attorney.
You should retain an attorney to talk to the authorities to try to prevent perjury charges.
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
Yes, you could face some trouble potentially. However, it depends on whether the office files a police report and what the police determine from their initial investigation. This is the type of issue that could get federal authorities involved. Especially after "9/11," any sort of allegation that a person is attempting to alter or provide false information to obtain a passport is taken very seriously. I'd recommend you retain an attorney to assist you with this matter. What you say and do related to this incident could be used against you if ultimately, you are charged with a criminal offense.
Law Office of Ernest T. Biando, LLC | Ernest Biando
Yes-retain an attorney.
Fabian & Associates, Inc.
Fabian & Associates, Inc. | Stephen G. Fabian, Jr.
Probably, if they are able to prove the case.
    A.L.A. Law Group, LLP
    A.L.A. Law Group, LLP | Lauren M. Mayfield
    Yes, you can get in trouble for forging a legal government document and/or aiding someone else in the forging of a document. You should speak with a criminal defense attorney regarding all of the details to your case because there may be a way to mitigate your involvement with the aid of an attorney. You should not tell anyone about this and you should tell your friend not to share any facts about this with anyone.
    It is a crime to lie or make a false assertion to a Federal Officer.
    Law Office of Michael R. Garber
    Law Office of Michael R. Garber | Michael R. Garber
    Maybe. I'm sure your passport application says it's perjury to give false information to get a passport.
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
    Hire an attorney. Passports are extremely important documents and falsifying information on them will not be taken lightly. I would strongly advise you to hire an attorney and not post any more information about what you did or didn't do online. I would also advise you not to speak to anyone at all about this until you hire an attorney and then refer all requests for information to your attorney. Assert your right here to remain silent!
    Yes, it's called fraud .
    Neither admit nor deny; simply offer to come in to wherever to sign it or submit a new application by mail if such is acceptable.
    This would be a federal matter and yes, you could be in trouble for lying while trying to obtain a passport.
    Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
    Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
    This is called fraud and yes you will get in trouble.
    Although I am not familiar with Federal law, as I do not practice this law, I would strongly suggest you retain counsel who practices before the Federal bar, as this sounds like perjury to me, and indeed, this is a most serious offense. Do not make a statement to the authorities without advice of a practicing attorney of the federal bar.
    You might be. But I think it more likely that you just won't get a passport.
    Mark C. Cogan Law Offices | Mark Cogan
    Lying to a Federal agent is a crime. I suggest you and your friend retain legal counsel immediately.
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    Yes, hire a lawyer.
    The term perjury comes to mind, a federal criminal offense in this case. How likely it is to happen, I cant guess. If you can clear this up with honesty and contrition, you may avoid charges. I suggest you consider hiring an attorney to assist you. Most prosecutors will happily tell you that 95% of people convict themselves by trying to be 'helpful and cooperative', either during initial contact, questioning, interview or interrogation.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    You could be in some very serious trouble. Lying on a passport application is a federal offense and you may be looking at some serious jail time. You should contact an attorney who practices in federal court for more advice.
    You very well could be. You do not say whay someone else forged your signature. You need to speak with an attorney who can review the facts in detail. At minimum, you may have compromised your ability to obtain a passport.
    Eric J Schurman, Attorney at Law
    Eric J Schurman, Attorney at Law | Eric James Schurman
    You may be in jeopardy for giving false information in this forgery investigation. You should consult with an attorney if charges are filed against you.
    The Law Offices of Wesley R. Sklark | Wesley R. Sklark
    You could be in serious trouble and they may be trying to set you up for felony or misdemeanor criminal charges. Invoke your right to remain silent if they contact you again and consult in person with a criminal attorney as soon as possible.
    Yes you are in trouble for lying about signing the passport. What you did can be filed as a felony or a misdemeanor in state court or federal court. You need an attorney.
    Grantland, Blodgett, Shaw & Abel
    Grantland, Blodgett, Shaw & Abel | Gregory M. Abel
    You could be. Lying during the passport application process is a federal offense.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    You are in deep trouble and you really need to retain counsel asap.
    Laguzzi Law, P.C.
    Laguzzi Law, P.C. | Carina Laguzzi
    Until you are arrested, there is not much you can do. That is, if you are arrested. This is very serious and if you are called again, you should not answer any more questions until you consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney.
    Law Offices of Sean Logue
    Law Offices of Sean Logue | Sean Logue
    You could be in trouble. What you did is illegal, but is such a minor crime that the feds may not take it up.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    You definitely could be. You should talk with a lawyer before you talk with them any further. Contact someone who handles federal cases.
    Rose & Rose | Terry Rose
    Yes. It is a federal offense to lie to a federal agent.
    Betts Legal Services
    Betts Legal Services | Shawn M. Betts
    The person who forged your signature is likely in more significant trouble, but you could also face charges for aiding and abetting the forgery or some type of conspiracy charge. I don't know if ultimately you will face charges. The request could simply be denied and nothing further may happen, but it is possible you could be charged. It is problematic that it involved a passport, which could mean a federal charge.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    You might be charged with lying to a federal officer and/or obstructing justice.
    You will if you talk. You need an attorney to talk on your behalf, so stop making incriminating statements.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    Given the heightened security nowadays, yes - you're potentially in trouble, as is your friend. Since you're dealing with a passport, this is likely to be a federal crime. They don't mess around. You and your friend need to stop making statements that are only going to hurt you and instead sit down and discuss the situation face to face with a criminal defense attorney. Best case scenario, they decline your application. Worst case, you are prosecuted for perjury, forgery or falsification of government documents.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney