Am I going to lose my out of state vehicles in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy? How? 9 Answers as of July 16, 2015

I am going through a Chapter 11 bankruptcy. I have a couple vehicles registered in my name that are out of the state. Can those vehicles be repossessed and sold as part of the Chapter 11 bankruptcy?

Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
If you're in a Chapter 11 case you should have a knowledgeable bankruptcy attorney. You need to discuss all your questions with your attorney.
Charles Schneider, P.C.
Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
Generally a well drafted chapter 11 can keep those assets at a price.
Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
Hopefully you have an experienced lawyer if you are really in a chapter 11 case. Ask your lawyer all of your questions.
In Chapter 11, it is up to you to propose a Plan that complies with bankruptcy law and exemptions. So whether you keep or surrender the vehicles depends on what you chose to do. The fact that the vehicles are not in the state is, for the most part, irrelevant. You should be represented by the most experienced Bankruptcy attorney in your community if you are going into Chapter 11. One little mistake at the beginning of your case, including being a day late submitting paperwork, can result in your entire income, including your paycheck, going into the control of your creditors.
A chapter 11 case is post-graduate level. A lay person should not try to do it himself, no more than he should diagnose an illness and perform surgery on himself. If you do not yet have a lawyer, hire one who is experienced specifically in Chapter 11 work. In a properly conducted Ch. 11, you could be able to retain the vehicles you want to keep but you might be asked by the US Trustee or a creditors' committee what need you have for more than one. Find a good lawyer: I cannot stress that enough. Good Luck.
    If the vehicles aren't exempt and have sufficient equity. They will be sold unless you're paying all your creditors.
    Tokarska Law Center
    Tokarska Law Center | Kathryn U. Tokarska
    You need to speak with your attorney. If you're not happy with your attorney, consult with another. If you don't have an attorney then you are NOT in a chapter 11 but rather either chapter 7 or 13. Which is it?
    Yes, all of your assets are part of the bankrupt estate, no matter where they are located.
    You need to ask your attorney. If you do not have one, get one immediately!