Am I going to face severe consequences if I was arrested for DUI and possession in Alabama? 5 Answers as of April 11, 2011

I was just stopped and charged by police for DUI and marijuana possession in Birmingham. This is my first offense. Will I have to face severe consequences for this?

Eversole Law, LLC
Eversole Law, LLC | Steven Eversole
There are many kinds of consequences with a DUI, even a first time DUI. You can face jail time, loss of your driver's license, loss of respect in the community, increase of auto insurance, fines up to $2000 and more. The marijuana charges face similar consequences. A conviction may also haunt your future employment prospects as many employers require background checks for all employees. I highly suggest you contact an experienced dui and drug defense attorney. If I may be of further assistance, please contact me.
Law Office of James S. Robinson
Law Office of James S. Robinson | James S. Robinson
Depends on your definition of severe. I would get with a good lawyer and try to get one of the charges dropped in exchanged for a deferred prosecution on the other.
There is no mandatory jail sentence with the facts you have described. However, you need counsel. There are a myriad of potential defenses, and you are subject to up to a year of jail time on the DUI (subject to the judge's discretion), and the possession is also a misdemeanor, unless it was more than an ounce, in which case you could be charged with Possession in the first degree which is a C felony which carries up to ten years to serve.
It all depends if it is POM 1st which is a felony, or POM 2nd which is personal use and a misdemeanor. First time DUI is normally 30 days suspended for 18 months, $600 fine or more + costs, driving school and loss of license for 6 months. You should talk to an attorney before you do anything. If you are under 21 you can apply for youthful offender. If it is a felony, we can often get those reduced to a misdemeanor on first offenses. Call me if you have any questions.
Jason Overton, Attorney at Law
Jason Overton, Attorney at Law | Jason Overton
Absolutely. Hire a lawyer.