Am I going to deported because of the DUI based on the accident or deny getting a ticket shows a bad moral character? 17 Answers as of March 25, 2013

I need help please, my mom brought me to the US and I’m a green card holder it will expire by 2016. On 2011 I got a DUI and there was an accident which is I hit a building but no one wasn't hearted (injured) I already finished the court order (paid fine, spend 1 day jail time and got back my license) except another 2 more years probation and now I got a thicket for fail to yield the right of way. Now my question is am I going to deported because of the DUI based on the accident or deny getting a ticket shows a bad moral character? And if I get denied will they renew my green card Thank you all.

Attorney at Law | Ernest Krause
I think you were foolish, not possessed of bad moral character, for the DUI. Failure to yield the right of way, same. And you were legal in the US. I think you will be OK. Obey the law.
Law Offices of N.J. SAEH PC | Noel J. Saleh
You should have no problem renewing your green card. It could delay you obtaining US citizenship.
This is not my area of expertise. You should consult an attorney familiar with this type of situation.
Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
It is likely your DUI will not result in your deportation. You should stay out of trouble. You should speak to a lawyer on your case since it appears you are already eligible to file for citizenship.
No one knows for sure, but you can do yourself a favor by hire a lawyer to have the 2011 conviction expunged in 2014.
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    If it was a simple DUI, you should not have a problem to renew your green card. You should have an immigration attorney review your case for a definite answer.
    I think you are going to be fine but I cannot say for sure until I see your DUI documents from Court. If this is important, then get a lawyer and don't play with it.
    You need to consult with an immigration attorney. It sounds like the first DUI involved a felony. IF TRUE, then you have a real problem.
    Your DUI should not affect your green card.
    Not enough info to answer.
    Law Office of Sylvia Ontaneda-Bernales | Sylvia Ontaneda-Bernales
    Generally, DUIs are serious crimes and 2 or more can seriously affect a person's immigration opportunities and status. However, most state laws do not consider simple DUIs as a Crime Involving Moral Turpitude (CIMT). If you live in such a state, it's likely that you'd get to keep your green card. Hire a knowledgeable immigration attorney who can study your case and counsel you accordingly.
    I would guess that the DUI will not affect your ability to renew your green card. For a definitive opinion, I advise you to consult with an immigration attorney.
    William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
    No one can predict what the immigration court might do for guarantee an outcome. Usually DUI convictions restart the five-year clock for moral turpitude purposes, but a DUI would not necessarily result in deportation by itself. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence.
    Law Office of Bill Travis Klein
    Law Office of Bill Travis Klein | Bill T. Klein
    You need to show your court documents and immigration papers to an Immigration Attorney. The Attorney will be able to tell you if your conviction is a deportable offense. You could have your green card renewal denied depending on the type of coviction and your sentence. It sounds like you may not have a problem but it really depends on the details of your case. It is better to sure now before you renew your green card so you can know what your options are and be prepared. They will check your records when you renew your green card through the biometrics (fingerprint and records check appointment).
    You need to speak to an immigration attorney. I believe the DUI will be a problem. You will need a criminal attorney to address that.
    Law Offices of Laurie A. Schmidt, P.C. | Laurie Schmidt
    You should consult an immigration attorney I your area for specific information. You are asking two questions, 1. Can you be deported and 2. Can you be denied admissibility based on the DUI and new traffic ticket. Typically a traffic infraction is not moral turpitude, thus it along cannot have an immigration consequence.
    I would need to review the statute under which you were convicted as well as the facts surrounding the conviction. You could potentially be denied for lack of good moral character, but that will not necessarily lead to a finding you are inadmissible or deportable. I recommend you consult an experienced immigration attorney.