Am I going to be convicted if I was not able to pay my credit card? 10 Answers as of February 06, 2014

I closed my credit card last 2012. The principal amount was just 19k. Last July 2013 they send me a demand letter. Last week, I tried to pay my debt but the amount they want me to pay was multiplied to 69k. I know I won't be able to pay that said amount because I am just a regular govt employee. Is there a case wherein the debtor convicted?

SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
NO. You cannot and will not be convicted. It is not a crime.
Resnick & Moss, P.C.
Resnick & Moss, P.C. | Mark Bredow
You may not be put in jail for merely not paying a debt or even for refusing to pay a debt.
You would get a judgment against you in civil court not criminal conviction
Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
As a general rule, we no longer have debtor's prisons that is why our Constitution provides the protection of bankruptcy. You would be greatly benefited by consulting with a qualified bankruptcy attorney.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
Nobody will be convicted of anything, however they may try to collect from you. You might consider bankruptcy if all else fails.
    Bushhorn Law Offices | Thomas D. Bushhorn, Esq.
    You should never fear that you are going to be imprisoned for debts owed. As an American Citizen you are afforded the protection found in the U.S. Constitution: Article 1 Section 8: The Congress shall have Power To...establish uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States.... What this means to you is that there is no debtor's prison! Bankruptcy relief and protection is afforded to people just like you that may find?themselves with the unfortunate financial position to which?you?are unable to repay debts? due to circumstances beyond their control such as loss of employment, divorce, medical issues, etc. You may want to Consider?consulting with a bankruptcy attorney to see what options would work for your situation and to eliminate the harassment once and for all!
    Fluhr & Moore, LLC | Steven S. Fluhr
    There is no crime committed, so you will not be convicted. A judgment for the amount of the debt may be entered against you if they sue you in civil court and prove that the 69k was incurred pursuant to the contract you had with credit card company.
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    Not paying a debt is not a criminal offense in Illinois. You should have a lawyer review the documents you have because no credit card has a rate of interest that could result in the numbers you cite.
    Unless there was fraud, you won't go to jail. You might want to take a look at bankruptcy depending on your circumstances.
    There're is something very wrong. It grew too fast.