Am I going jail next for first time shoplifting? 10 Answers as of February 18, 2014

I never been to court, so I don’t know what's going to happen. I'm 7 months pregnant and I have a clean background, never got into trouble with the law.

Jail is always a possibility. Depending on the amount allegedly stolen and the jurisdiction where the event occurred, shoplifting can be met with a mere citation (infraction), or charged as a misdemeanor or even a felony, with possible jail sentences of 6 months to 3 years. It will be up to the D.A. to determine how the crime will be charged. I suggest that you hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you and get you the best deal possible.
Instead of worrying about the jail time, you need to focus your attention on how you can avoid being convicted. Shoplifting is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
Generally, for a first time offense, the judge does not order jail time.
You will not go to jail. In Washington, you committed a gross misdemeanor with a sentence range of 364 days in jail and $5,000 fine. As a first offense, you will likely be sentenced to take a consumer awareness class, do community service, pay a fine, stay away from the store, have no further law violations, and be on probation for one year. You will also need to pay a civil fine to the store. If there is a diversion program take it.
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
Maximum penalty in Missouri for misdemeanor shoplifting is 1 year in jail and a fine of $1,000. You need to hire an attorney to represent you if you want to avoid jail and get the charge dismissed or amended to a lesser offense, such as "Littering."
    Normally we get clients into diversion so the end up with no criminal conviction on their record.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    No. Diversion or probation.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    While a theft charge always carries a potential jail sanction, the likelihood of you receiving a jail sentence for a first offense is slim. It is more likely that you would receive probation. Should you screw up on probation you could be looking at a jail sentence.
    Anderson Law Office
    Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
    In MN you mostly would not go to jail. You should get an attorney or apply for a public defender. This type of case, if convicted, can cause issues with employment, rental, etc.
    Here is what you should do. First plead NOT guilty. (This is because you lose all your bargaining power by pleading guilty right away.) Second get a lawyer. That person may be able to work out a deal where you end up with no conviction on your record your theft. This is important since such a record is FOREVER and PUBLIC. What employer wants to hire a thief? This consequence is more severe than jail.