Am I facing jailtime? 5 Answers as of September 13, 2010

I just got a DUI. I am 25, only had a few tickets, and I am working on graduating from college. I cannot have a criminal record. I was kept overnight and had my car impounded. Do I need to get a lawyer?

No. Not if you know how to properly and effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor seeking to convict you. Most people do not. Hire an attorney. Just because you cannot have a criminal record does not mean you do not / will not have one. You already have an arrest on your permanent record with DOJ. You face conviction being added to that, either through plea bargain or trial loss. IF you have grounds for Motions that could end up getting the case dismissed, then pursue them.
This is a hard question to answer without knowing any facts of the stop. However, it is always a very good idea to get an attorney anytime you have business in a court. There is too much to lose to not hire one. Contact me for advice on your case.
The Pakneshan Firm
The Pakneshan Firm | Pezhman Pakneshan
Yes. You need to get an attorney to pursue every possible defense available. Besides the immediate criminal and licensing penalties, a DUI conviction can have serious consequences on future job prospects. Some employers do not want to deal with liability issues for employees with DUI convictions.
Hale Law Group
Hale Law Group | Joshua D. Hale
The law says no. Abraham Lincoln says that only a a man who represents himself has a fool for a client.

Short answer, yes. You should find an attorney you trust. You are welcome to call my office at anytime. I handle these cases throughout California.