Am I entitled to a refund if my chapter 7 case has not been filed yet? 8 Answers as of August 31, 2015

I paid my bankruptcy attorney a retainer fee of $2,000, which is listed as "nonrefundable" in a written agreement. Now I have changed my mind and do not wish to file, and the office if not being cooperative in allowing me to schedule a meeting with him to discuss my case. I was told I was only entitled to $335 back, which is the filing fee. They have collected some of my paperwork and I had one meeting with the attorney's assistant, but that is all that has been done. Should I contact my local bar association to see about getting a larger refund?

Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
You should ask the lawyer for an itemized bill reflecting the work that has been done to date.
First of all, non-refundable fees are not permitted in Wisconsin under the rules governing lawyers. The odds are that the lawyer cannot honestly demonstrate that he put much time into your case. Under the rules, you can demand fee arbitration which is usually carried out by a panel of lawyers in your County. You can contact the State Bar of Wisconsin to find out exactly whom you should contact. Secondly, the lawyer appears to have violated the Rules of Professional Conduct for Lawyers. These rules are enforced by an arm of the Wisconsin Supreme Court, called the Office of Lawyer Regulation., You can telephone them in Madison, or send in a written grievance. The telephone numbers and mailing addresses of these two entities are easy to find. Good Luck.
Cant have a non refundable retainer. They can only keep the amount of money for the time they put in to your file
That would be a yes.
You can try but is is doubtful you will get any satisfaction. Most of the work of the law office preparing the schedules has already been done.
    Non-refundable means non-refundable.
    Yes. Contact the state bar association. To be nonrefundable, the attorney had to be retained to always be available to exclusively represent you - buying his time so he could not represent anyone else - which did not occur here. Otherwise the attorney must earn the fee charged.
    Yes, attorneys are ethically required to charge a "reasonable" fee. Since little was done in your case, only a small fee would be reasonable. In any case, $1,665 is a steep fee for a Ch 7 unless you have a business.