Am I entitled to copies of any documents I signed as a former employee? 3 Answers as of July 05, 2011

Am I entitled to copies of any documents I signed as a former employee? If so, am I responsible for administrative costs associated, or is it up to the employer to absorb those costs?

Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
Generally, the answer is no. However, if you are challenging your former employment through administrative or court action, either the administrative agency processing your complaintor your attorney in your court casemay request and obtaindocuments pertaining to your employment.
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
You are entitled to review your personnel file at no cost to you and to receive a copy of any documents you signed relating to the obtaining or holding of employment and of payroll records. CA Labor Code 1198.5, 432, and 226(b) are relevant sections.