Am I entitled to at least some of the assets my husband accumulated before his death? 4 Answers as of May 24, 2011

My husband died in 2005 and his immediate family claimed and received all of the assets, I am now being told I, being his widowed wife, am entitled to at least some of assets correct? Am I too late to request all or part of our assets that were accumulated before his death?

Law Office of Richard B. Kell
Law Office of Richard B. Kell | Richard B. Kell
It depends on whether your husband's estate has been formally probated or not. You should contact a probate attorney asap to discuss what all has happened since your husband's death.
Actually, if you were still married to him at the time of his death, you are likely to be entitled to all his assets that he accumulated during his lifetime and they would be entitled to none of them. Speak to an experienced estate lawyer right away in your area and find out your rights and also discuss the facts of the situation. You will likely be entitled to a return of whatever they took from his estate improperly. Good luck.
Benari Law Firm
Benari Law Firm | Arik T. Benari
In Pennsylvania I believe you'd be entitled to at least one third.
A surviving spouse has the right under law to inherit a portion of their husband's estate. Whether or not the spouse had a Last Will & Testament or not, the surviving spouse can elect to receive a share under the state intestacy laws.