Am I entitle to any part of my ex's business if we get a divorce? 3 Answers as of June 27, 2011

I married an illegal alien in Marietta, GA (did not know at the time of the marriage) while on block leave from Afghanistan. Upon returning from Afghanistan, she decided that she did not want to live with me in Italy. Upon returning to the US, I was seeking to get a divorce. I wanted to wait until she had a government job so she may be able to take care of herself and she had requested that she would need time to get medical and dental insurance. Two weeks ago, she informed me that she has started a business a year ago and is preparing to open up another studio. Because we were married at the time she started her business and I had no idea that she had a business using my last name, am I entitle to any part of her business if we get a divorce?

Meriwether & Tharp LLC
Meriwether & Tharp LLC | Patrick Meriwether
In Georgia, anything acquired during the course of the marriage as a result of marital efforts is subject to equitable distribution by the Courts.
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
The business would be marital property, but whether you would get any of it depends on whether a judge believes it would be fair and equitable given the circumstances of your case. There are no specific entitlements when it comes to property division in Georgia.
Any asset either of you acquired during the marriage is subject to equitable division. The facts of the case determine what is equitable. So you may or may not get an interest, and she also may have claims to your assets.