Am I eligible to get my record expunged? 2 Answers as of April 07, 2011

I shoplifted from Walmart a little over a year ago. I was told if I paid my fines before my court date I would have to go. So, I did that and got it cleared up. Obviously, it is on my record. I am currently looking for a job, and everywhere I go I have to get a background check. I am wanting to know if I can get it removed from my record now so that I can get a job?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Andrew R. Lynch, P.C.
Andrew R. Lynch, P.C. | Andrew R. Lynch
No, by paying the citation it is a conviction. You have no right under Georgia law to request an expungement under these circumstances. You may contact an attorney who could try and reopen your case.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/7/2011
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Who told you to pay the fine before the court date? What happened to the case? Was it dismissed? Yes, then you can get your arrest record expunged. Did you plead no contest and get a suspended sentence? Yes, then you have a conviction and you cannot get it expunged. I suspect that you had no attorney representing you, which is why you are unclear as to what occurred with the case. Simple question: DO you have a conviction for shoplifting? Yes, then no expungement.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/7/2011
Click to View More Answers: