Am I eligible for a wrongful termination case? 2 Answers as of June 03, 2011

I was told that to continue my job, I could no longer talk to the girl I was dating. After about another 5 months of talking on the phone, we decided to go ahead and get married. Once the company I was working for found out, they fired me. Is it legal for them to do this?

David B. Sacks, P.A.
David B. Sacks, P.A. | David Sacks
Unfortunately marital status discrimination does not have anything to do with who you are married to, but rather whether you are married, divorced, single. Accordingly, you would have no claim based on the facts as you present those facts as it seems that your company was concerned with whom you were dating and married rather than the fact of your marital status. If , however, you believe that it was your status rather than whom, you would have a claim under the Florida Civil Rights Act. Please feel free to call me.
Law Office of Cindy Lin
Law Office of Cindy Lin | Cindy Lin
This depends on the employment laws in the state where you live. If you live in an "at-will" state like Washington, your employer could terminate you for any reason, even seemingly absurd reasons, so long as the termination is not illegal in some way. Were you dating someone from work? If so, this may be covered by an employer's "non-fraternization" policy, which often does provide good cause for termination. If this relationship is completely in your personal life and does not have anything to do with your work life, you might be able to bring a claim against your former employer for invasion of privacy, or a similar tort claim. However, the facts of each case are different, and different state laws have different standards regarding how invasive the actual invasion must be to make a party liable.