Am I eligible for severance pay from university? How? 4 Answers as of August 12, 2015

I am currently employed at private university public radio station. The university sold our license. Losing my job. 20 yr. employee. Am I eligible for severance pay from university?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
Look to your employee handbook or other University policies. I suggest asking personnel that question, because the University would set the severance policy.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 8/12/2015
Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
Contact an attorney to review your matter and determine your rights.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 8/12/2015
You did not identify your state, the answer varies from state to state. If you are in Georgia: There is no law that requires any employer to pay severance pay. Such matters are governed by company (University) policy, and perhaps by your employment contract, if you have a contract. Contracts are unusual, you likely have none. Under GA Law, you are entitled to no severance pay. You likely qualify for unemployment comp benefits, $330 a week for 19 weeks, no extensions. Back to University policy. Go to your HR department, or a trusted manager, and ask. Universities are usually open to discussion about such matters. You may be surprised at what they offer. Once you have an offer, you may want to discuss this with an attorney. Sometimes attorneys can negotiate a bit more. Other times attorneys kill the deal.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/11/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Depends on your contract and the employment practices of the university.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/11/2015
Click to View More Answers: