Am I eligible for the adjustment of status if my visa expired last year? 3 Answers as of July 01, 2015

I have won the diversity visa lottery and currently I'm student in US. I have valid I20 for D/S, however my visa expired last year. In the USCIS web site it says, 1)Have been selected for a diversity visa by DOS’s lottery; 2) Have an immigrant visa immediately available at the time of filing an adjustment application (Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status); and 3) Are admissible to the United States. I'm little confused with statement 2 and 3. Someone told me that "you cannot adjust status, but since you are a "status violator" rather than an overstay, you have no unlawful presence".

Visa expiration is irrelevant if you are in valid F-1 status and are currently enrolled with a valid I-20.
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
Generally speaking, to be eligible for adjustment of status an applicant must have entered the United States with inspection and remained in valid status at the time he/she files the application. Hence, the expiration of your visa may have no bearing on your eligibility. You should consult with an immigration attorney before filing any applications with USCIS.
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
You can adjust your status as long as you are a full-time student with a valid I-20 regardless of whether your visa expired or not.