Am I allowed to have a PA system and yellow and white emergency lights in my ATV? 2 Answers as of April 08, 2014

Lawyer for Independent Media
Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
In California, you might be able to have a PA system, but you would not be allowed to use it because of noise ordinances. However, if you are taking your ATV out on emergency rescues in the wilderness and using it to call to someone who is lost, then the use of such a system might be within the law. If you are driving around the city or suburbs, saying things out of the PA system, you will likely be ticketed or arrested. As for the lights, the Vehicle Code states what kind of lights a vehicle may have and the kinds it must have. If your vehicle is actually involved in emergency or rescue missions, you may be allowed to have emergency lighting if it is not visible or in use at times other than when in an emergency. This is like having the PA. It is not having it that is the problem, it is when and where and how you use it. If you are involved in risky sports and want to have emergency equipment installed and ready, and you use it appropriately, it seems okay.
You may be allowed to have them, but using them is a different matter. Check with your local and state statutes about noise and light ordinances on both public and private land. Under no circumstances can you imitate an emergency vehicle.