Am I able to file under chapter 7 bankruptcy on an at fault car accident? 14 Answers as of September 02, 2015

I did not have insurance. It was no DUI just me at fault no one was injured but the insurance people are suing m now for $12.559 dollars. Can I file this on my bankruptcy to get my license back since they suspended it?

You can discharge the debt to the insurance company.
Law Office of Susan G. Taylor
Law Office of Susan G. Taylor | Susan G. Taylor
That would be a yes.
That would be a yes.
EDWARD P RUSSELL | EDWARD P RUSSELL
That would be a yes.
Law Office of Marlin Branstetter
Law Office of Marlin Branstetter | Marlin Branstetter
You can file and the debt would be discharged if you live in California. I do not know the policy in other states. There notifications that you have to make to the DMV in order to get your license restored.
    This is a common reason why people file for bankruptcy and absent unusual circumstances, I would expect you to be able to discharge this debt.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    It sounds like you can discharge the claim in the insurance lawsuit, but whether you can get your license back by filing bankruptcy is a separate question. That would depend on the reason you lost your license. If it was for driving without insurance, you probably would not get it back immediately. If it was for failure to pay a fine, then you could get your license back with a bankruptcy but you would have to promise to pay the fine.
    Southern Michigan Bankruptcy Center | Craig Jackson
    Since the accident wasn't caused by drugs or alcohol, yes, the debt would be dischargeable. You will be able to get your license back. After filing your bankruptcy petition, contact the DMV.
    You can file on this, but I don't think it will get your license back. That is an action by the DMV, you will have to check with them.
    In Alabama the answer is a yes.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    Yes. there are more motions to be filed with a normal BK. You may want to speak to attorney.
    D.J. Rausa, Attorney at Law | D.J. Rausa
    Two part question. 1) the claim from the insurance company is a dischargeable debt. 2) the DMV procedure is different and you must get insurance on your vehicle. Check with the DMV.
    Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
    The simple answer is yes, you can file, but that will not discharge the debt if the insurance company or injured party brings an adversary complaint to deem the debt non-dischargeable. In that case, you will have ruined your credit and still owe the debt. You should speak with an attorney and try to work out a repayment agreement with the other party's insurance company to avoid such an adverse outcome. And, for crying out loud, get insurance or don't drive. Good luck.
    You can file bankruptcy to get rid of that debt. How DMV deals with it to get your license back, you would have to ask them.