Am I able to bring my brother to live in US? 3 Answers as of April 18, 2011

Am I able to bring my brother to live in US, I am a US citizen, he currently lives in Bosnia and Herzegovina. How long will this process take? Would he be able to come here as a student and then maybe get a green card thru me? What would be the best and my fastest option.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
If you are a USC you will need to file a petition and wait for it to be approved and then wait for the visa priority date to become available. That means 4 to 10 years in some cases. He can always come as a student but the process to get a green card through you will remain the same unless he becomes someone else's immediate relative. There are no priority dates for immediate relatives or another way to say it is that for an immediate relative, the priority date is NOW. If that were the case, then your brother would be able to get his green card. There are employment-based Green cards, but he will need for an employer to sponsor him. For that, job one is to get a job offer. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/18/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
Yes you are able to file for your brother if you are a U.S. citizen. However he will have to wait at least 8 years (as siblings are in the 4th preference category), before you will be able to petition him for his green card. It would be much quicker that he comes in under a student visa.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/18/2011
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
I appreciate your situation. Here is what you have: if you petition for your brother, it will probably be approved, but he will be placed on a 4th level priority preference category, which means he will have to wait an average of 14 years to be able to adjust status (formal application for green card). However, if he obtains admission into a university, he can get an F-1 visa, following which you can petition for him. Once your I-130 is granted, it puts him in the system as eligible, once his priority date comes up, he can apply to adjust status. And since he would be in the country with the F-1, who knows what may happen to improve his situation. If I can help, please call or e-mail to set up an appointment.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: