Am I able, after the settlement, to submit the bills to health insurance to be paid? 14 Answers as of November 05, 2013

I settled with my car insurance on an accident claim. Auto insurance paid me already for the medical and lost wages. The medical bills were not paid by health insurance originally. They totaled $15,000.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
David F. Stoddard
David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
You can certainly submit the bills. Whether health insurance will pay at this point is you and your health insurer, and depends on the claims procedure of your policy. Some policies have a time limit within which to file claims. Also, the health insurer normally has a subrogation interest in your personal injury settlement. They may refuse to pay because you did not notify them of the claim so that they could assert their subrogation interest.
Answer Applies to: South Carolina
Replied: 11/5/2013
John Russo | John Russo
Sure if you want to be charged with insurance fraud!!!! You were compensated for Meds, and lost wages correct? You can keep the lost wages, the Med payments go to the medical providers not you, your health insurance will not pay these bills and if they did slip through you would have a big problem because now your health insurance provider would be looking to be paid back.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 10/31/2013
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
Send the bills to your carrier. Do not tell them anything has been paid and don't tell the carrier who paid. Either one or both may want to talk about being reimbursed.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 10/31/2013
Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
If they find out it was from an auto accident they can refuse to pay your medical bills. Medical bills should have come out of the settlement first then attorneys fees.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 10/31/2013
Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
To the extent that you have been paid for the $15,000 of medical bills and you have not paid the same, if you now submit the bills to your health insurer and they pay the bills, the health insurer has a right to subrogation for any medical bills it pays on your behalf, i.e. you will be responsible back to your health insurer if you have been "made whole" by the settlement with your auto insurer.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 10/31/2013
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C.
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C. | Pete Leehey
    You probably won't have much luck submitting medical bills to your health insurance company after you have settled your personal injury claim. Normally, health insurance will only pay medical bills from a car crash case if you agree in advance to pay your health insurance company back out of the money you settle the case for. Most health insurance policies contain language stating that damages caused by a negligent third-party are not covered by the policy. This is a detail that needs to be worked out before, not after, settlement.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Replied: 10/31/2013
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    Yes you can, but your medical insurance company may want to get some or all of its money back out of the settlement.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 10/31/2013
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    If the bills are more than a year old, it's too late. Not hiring an attorney may well cost you the entire settlement.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 10/30/2013
    Ferguson & Ferguson
    Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
    You will have to pay back health insurance if they pay them. You can't recover twice.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 10/30/2013
    Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
    You cannot "double dip." If the bills were paid by the auto carrier, that is it! Additionally, your health insurer will not pay bills more than 1 year old.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 10/30/2013
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    You can submit them to the health insurer and see what happens. You are entitled to "double dip" (ie: collect the same bills from both the health insurer and the No Fault insurer) IF your health coverage doesn't exclude motor vehicle collision bills AND your PIP medical coverage was "full benefits".
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 10/30/2013
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    So you are looking to make a double recovery on the medical bills . Used to be that you could legitimately do that . Then insurance companies for the most part got smart and worded policies to prevent double recovery . The key provisions of any policy deal with " SUBROGATION & REIMBURSEMENT " Check your policy out .
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 10/30/2013
    Padove Law | Burton A. Padove
    The answer would depend on the language contained in the insurance agreement for the health carrier.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 10/31/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    You will have to pay the medical bills out of your settlement if your policies contain the standard language.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 10/30/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney