All the charges I had still show up on my RAP sheet, what do I need to do to have only the charge I was found guilty of, and the rest removed? 2 Answers as of February 18, 2013

I was arrested and charged with a ton of felonies, the defendant took the stand and said it wasn't me, and I was only charged for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle an A misdemeanor and did 3 years’ probation. I believe the all the charges I had still show up on my RAP sheet, what do I need to do to have only the charge I was found guilty of, and the rest removed? This was over 15 years ago and I no longer live in NY where this occurred.

The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
There is no expungment statute in New York. The conviction will always be on your record and the arrests will be on the NYSID police computer but not reported to employers unless there was a conviction.
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
You have to understand that there's a different between your RAP sheet and your criminal background for a background check. All of your arrests will always show up on a RAP sheet because that is only available to criminal justice agencies if there's a future arrest. Your criminal conviction, however, will always stay on your permanent record since New York State does not allow expungement of criminal convictions, and that conviction would be seen by any third party doing a criminal background check.