After a short sale can the bank come after you for the difference? 9 Answers as of September 28, 2012

Sold my house in a short sale in 2010 now I'm getting letters from collection agency trying to collect on the difference.

Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
It depends on the short sale agreement. Most people do not understand that they are signing a contract to pay money as part of the short sale.
STASCH LAW LLC
STASCH LAW LLC | Sarah Stasch
Your short sale should have negotiated a waiver of the deficiency. If it did not, yes, they can. Did you have an attorney or a realtor handling the short sale? This should have been explained to you or negotiated. If I knew which lender, I could guestimate whether they will actively pursue.
Victor Varga | Victor Varga
Not usually, should have issued you a 1099 for the difference. Must be a mistake. Contact the bank.
R. Jason de Groot, P.A
R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
Yes, this is of course one of the problems of having a short sale, unless the bank in writing waives the deficiency balance.
Yes they can, the lender will normally either waive any deficiency in the payoff letter or they can put language that they will pursue a deficiency.
    Peacock Law Group of the Lowcountry, LLC | Richard Peacock
    In SC, there are quite a few details that are missing from this statement of facts to be able to fully answer your question. However, it sounds like the bank may have somehow gotten a judgment against you for the deficiency between the short sale price and what you owed on it. Also, it would need to be known if this was truly as a result of a short sale? You should contact a local attorney to discuss this matter.
    Law Office of Bijal Jani | Bijal Jani
    There are circumstances in which if the short sale was not negotiated properly with the bank and the bank retained the right to secure a deficiency judgment against you even after the short sale, yes the lender may try to seek a judgment for the difference. You should consult with an experienced attorney regarding this matter to prevent this action from going further.
    Richard M. Gee, a PC
    Richard M. Gee, a PC | Richard M. Gee
    Yes, in Colorado, if you did not have an agreement to waive the deficiency.
    Frank Law Group, P.C.
    Frank Law Group, P.C. | David E. Frank
    Not in CA. It's strictly prohibited.