After I got my Chapter 7 bankruptcy discharge can I get the title to my car? 7 Answers as of June 27, 2011

After I get my discharge can I get the title to my car? My loan lienholder doesn't want the car back but refuses to give me the title. I was willing to give it to them, but they don't want to go to the expense of coming to get it.

Financial Relief Law Center
Financial Relief Law Center | Mark Alonso
You will receive the title when the lien against the vehicle is paid in full. Chapter 7 does not eliminate the lien on a vehicle and allow you to keep a vehicle. You must continue making payments in order to keep the vehicle. If you still owe money on the car and are not making payments, they will eventually repossess the vehicle. If you pay off the debt owed on the vehicle, you will receive the title.
Law Office of Larry Webb
Law Office of Larry Webb | Larry Webb
Bankruptcy does not remove the lien. You have to negotiate with the lien holder. Ask your Bankruptcy attorney to give them a call.
The lender holds a security interest in the car until it is paid in full. Title remains with the lender until then.
If you still owe money on it they do not have to give you the title. You might..... file a motion to reopen your bankruptcy case so that you can "redeem" the car for a nominal value. Then they would have to give you the title when you paid the amount ordered by the court.
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
A lien holder will release the lien when you have completed all payments. If you've completed the payments and they refuse to release the lien, you can force it by suing them.
    You cannot get the title unless you pay the loan. Just keep driving the car until the bank takes it back, if ever. Of course, you can always offer the bank a lump sum payment and maybe they will release the lien.
    No, you do not own the car.