After filing bankruptcy, will my creditors stop harassing and calling me? 17 Answers as of July 02, 2013

I was 10 months behind in my loan and 2 years behind in my credit card payment. The credit card company keeps on calling me and sent me to court. If I file bankruptcy, will the companies stop calling me?

Philip R. Boardman, Attorney at Law
Philip R. Boardman, Attorney at Law | Phil Boardman
Law Office of Jeffrey Solomon
Law Office of Jeffrey Solomon | Jeffrey Solomon
They are legally required to stop.
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
Yes, the CC Co will be automatically stayed from trying to collect against you. Contact a local attorney for specifics.
Debt Relief Law Center | Roger J. Bus
11 U.S.C. 362(a) prohibits all further collection activities vs. the debtor once a bankruptcy case is filed. No further calls, letters, or other contact is allowed.
    When you file bankruptcy there is an automatic stay that prevents collection by creditors. It takes about a week for creditors to get notice and then they will stop phoning or sending collection letters. The bankruptcy discharge will make this permanent. If you have been sued the judgment can also be discharged.
    Yes, the filing of the bankruptcy gives you protection by the "automatic stay" under the bankruptcy code. If they contact you by mail or phone after you file they can be sued for a federal violation.
    Once you file bankruptcy, by law creditors cannot contact you about debts incurred before filing bankruptcy.
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis | Todd Mannis
    Yes, after you file the bankruptcy, they are PROHIBITED from contacting you any longer. Doing so subjects them to sanctions by the Bankruptcy Court that can be significant. They will stop calling. Consultations are always free.
    The unsecured creditors will stop calling but secured creditors can still call to inquire about the property. They will not call for payment but for return of the property.
    The Barger Law Firm
    The Barger Law Firm | Jason W. Barger
    Yes. Upon filing for bankruptcy, an automatic "stay" is placed on your financial life. No creditors, none, can contact you about the debts; they must go through the court system. Now, if you have a mortgage or car loan (secured loans) and you have arrearage on the loans (owe back payments), then you must make arrangements to pay the arrearage. If you don't, the lender will file what is called a "Motion to Lift Stay," which will allow them to contact you. Your credit card companies will not do this, however, and after you are discharged from paying their debt, they will not bother you again.