How do I get an attorney to appear on my behalf? 15 Answers as of June 20, 2013

I am currently on bail for a 2009 11550, I missed my court appearance due to being down sick with pneumonia. How do I get an attorney to appear on my behalf? And what will be the final outcome of this?

Robert Mortland
Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
You can hire a private attorney to appear on your behalf and they would be able to tell you a little more of what might happen at court. However, it is better to clear up any failure to appears as soon as possible because the longer you wait, the more the judge could get upset and remand you back into custody.
Law Office of Brian K. Wanerman
Law Office of Brian K. Wanerman | Brian K. Wanerman
You need to retain one. An attorney can appear without you on at least preliminary matters on misdemeanor charges. However, if you have failed to appear at a previous court hearing, the court may not permit this. You need to consult an attorney for more detailed advice. If you can't afford one, contact the public defender's office in your county. As for the final outcome, it's impossible to say without knowing details. Again, you should consult an attorney.
Theresa Hofmeister, Attorney At Law
Theresa Hofmeister, Attorney At Law | Theresa Hofmeister
The way to get an attorney to appear in court for you is to hire one.
The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco
The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco | Victor J Mazzaraco
By missing your court date, good reason or not, you added a misdemeanor charge to the case against you. If you did not contact the court, the D.A. on the case, a court clerk, somehow make contact with the court to let it know you would not be making the scheduled appearance a warrant was issued for your arrest, a hold was placed on your driver's license, and an additional $500 - $700 was added to the fine/penalties you will have to pay.The time to get the attorney to appear for you was prior to the court date. I would suggest you contact the D.A. on your case if you know their name, or the court in general if you don't (you can call the D.A.'s office and ask to speak to the D.A. assigned to your case). Explain about your illness and beg forgiveness and leniency.
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann | Christopher J. McCann
This is a fairly minor crime. You simply need to find a qualified lawyer in the area who handles criminal defense. The internet is a great source of information in locating attorneys. An attorney can appear on your behalf to recall a warrant without you being there for misdemeanor cases, though some judges might not allow it because a warrant was issued for failing to appear. Most persons charged with this charge are eligible for a drug diversion program that will lead to the case being dismissed.
    Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
    Hammerschmidt Broughton Law | Mark A. Broughton
    To get an attorney to appear for you, you have to hire him/her. Then, on a misdemeanor, the attorney can appear for you at most hearings. You may, however, have to appear at the first hearing so the judge can recall the warrant. With an 11550, you are looking at a mandatory minimum of 90 days in custody, so you need to get one to negotiate a more favorable plea deal, or raise some defenses and go to trial. You could show up to court yourself, and the court will appoint a public defender to assist you if you qualify. If that is not what you want then there's only one answer: hire a criminal defense attorney.
    You schedule an appointment with an attorney, pay him or her a fee to appear. There being a warrant out, you might need to apppear with the attorney. You can also take a bondsman with you to the jail , and have the bond posted.
    If you cannot make a court appearance you can call the court clerk and explain why you cannot make it. You can then reset the appearance to a date you can make. You can always hire an attorney to appear for you and get a continuous.
    LynchLaw
    LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
    If you had a date to appear, and you did not appear, a bench warrant most likely has been issued. To retain private counsel you would need to pay for both the appearance to have the warrant recalled as well as the underlining charge. Most attorneys will not charge you to recall the warrant if you retain them to defend you against the charges.
    You can hire a private attorney to appear on your behalf for midfemeanors, but not felonies. Also, if there is a bench warrant, a privately retained attorney can try to recall and quash the warrant without you being present at court, but some judges would require your presence as well.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    You retain an attorney and provide him with proof of your illness. You may be eligible for diversion.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    An attorney can recall your warrant and set a future court date (if need be). You can contact attorneys through LawQA.
    Law Office of Evan E. Zelig
    Law Office of Evan E. Zelig | Evan E. Zelig
    In order to have an attorney appear for you on your behalf, if that is possible in your county of residence without making a personal appearance to clear the warrant, you should contact an attorney local to you and the county where you have the court date. As for the final outcome, that would depend on a number of additional factors including personal and criminal history, facts of the offense, and other matters the attorney you hire will be able to assist you with.
    You simply pay an attorney to go to court to recall the warrant. The attorney can bring a doctor's note, and you don't even have to be in court. Show up by yourself and you risk being taken into custody.