1. Am I allowed to move outside of the country if I filed for bankruptcy in the U.S? 7 Answers as of June 09, 2011

I have received a job in Australia and have already been granted a Visa to the country and have a job offer waiting for me. Will bankruptcy affect me getting into the country? Will bankruptcy also affect me leaving the country?

Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
It should pose no problems. If you haven't had your Meeting of Creditors yet, though, you should wait until that has occurred before you move.
Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis
Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis | Todd Mannis
No effect either way.
Ursula G. Barrios Law
Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
Yes you can move.
No... you just have to be available to attend the meeting of creditors. Bankruptcy is a completely legal process and you have the right to do it under federal law if you qualify. Therefore, it does not affect travel rights or immigration or naturalization or anything else. If you are an American citizen the right to travel is a constitutionally protected right that cannot be denied.
It doesn't prevent you from leaving.
    Are you asking whether bankruptcy will affect you getting in and out of the USA or if it will affect you getting in and out of Australia? If the former, the answer is no. If the latter, you need to consult with an Australian attorney, but I can't imagine why or how your filing bankruptcy in the USA would affect you entering any country.