What is the effect of being caught with pipe and pot in school grounds for being a police officer? 5 Answers as of February 22, 2012

I had a pipe and pot on school grounds. Will this affect his chances of being a police officer? This has not gone to court yet and is out on bond$ 2,000.00 of which we paid $200.00.

Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C.
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C. | Kenneth Wincorn
Yes this will effect you if you are convicted.
Yes, you can assure yourself that this can and will affect your ability to get into a police academy. Think about it, if you take a pot charge and have a record, and then become a cop and arrest my client for pot. What do you think I am going to argue at court? I am going to argue you planted your pot on my client and then I am going to bring out your criminal record and show it to the judge and the jury. That is the answer to your question which you pose here. Now, do you want the answer to the unasked question? HIRE A LAWYER and fight this case. Plead only when no other option exist and take a deferred if you can get it but only when the time is right and every other option has been exhausted.
Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law
Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law | Mark Thiessen
Definitely could keep you out of the Academy. You need to fight this with everything you got.
Madrid Law | Mario Madrid
A school is considered a "Drug Free Zone" which means that if you are charged with possession of marijuana, the punishment level will be raised one level. For instance, if it is alleged that you possessed less that 2 ounces of marijuana, you would be charged with a Class B misdemeanor. If you are in a drug free zone, the charge will then be a Class A misdemeanor. A conviction will likely hurt anyone's chances of being a police officer. You need an attorney to defend you and ensure that first you do not have a final conviction and if possible receive an outcome that would allow you to remove this from your record.
Robert Valles and Associates P.C.
Robert Valles and Associates P.C. | Robert Valles Jr.
The case is upgraded one degree for being on school grounds.